Roney,

I would suggest not using direct SQL in any part of your final
solution. Let me try to paint a possible picture for how this could be
done with ARS workflow only.

A few assumptions first:

1) You will need to identify ALL of the relationships between the data involved.
Some things to think about and sort out in these relationships:

order of archiving: Some child records might be archived before one of
their many parents.

shared data:  One parent being archived may not mean that all of this
children should be archived. (The child might have multiple parents.)

Propagating "archive" up and or down the data model:  Some children
might need to be archived when the first parent is archived, and all
parents of that child type might also need to be archived as a
consequence too.

2) You will likely not be able to do all of the archiving in a
synchronous manner. (However I doubt that really matters that much. It
likely would be completed in a window of 24 hours and you would be
able to identify records that are "waiting to be archived" fairly
easily too.)

So.. Assuming you have all of the above already sorted out. :)

When a record is "archived" you should be able to trigger workflow on
the archive form. (Not sure if it is Merge or not, but that is what I
would expect.) With the above knowledge you could flag the "other
data" in a way that would allow it to be picked up on their forms
archiving schedule too.

Now here is where it gets a bit tricky.... To properly propagate the
"ready to archive" status from parent to child and child to parent (as
needed) you likely want all of that to be done from the first record
that is archived. So you need _all_ of your "source" records archive
forms to have enough logic on them to identify the possible other
records that need to be archived as a result of this record being
archived. Let each record get a signal and let it decide if it needs
to be archived as well or not. ( Note this workflow would be on your
primary form, not the archive form.) If it is to be archived to, then
it needs to alter itself so that it will meet that forms archive test
on the next pass and also signal any other children and/or parents
that would be archived when this record is archived.

So you bubble the signal through the whole data model when the first
record is actually archived. But only the first record is actually
archived at that time. Later the other records would be archived as
the other forms see fit to be archived. (time based processing, likely
once a day or week, or month, etc...)

All of the signals could be sent with Push actions and handled with
"Form commands". (ref:
http://www.remedy.com/customers/dht/archive/02-10-2003.htm )

HTH.

--
Carey Matthew Black
Remedy Skilled Professional (RSP)

Solution = People + Process + Tools
Fast, Accurate, Cheap.... Pick two.
Never ascribe to malice, that which can be explained by incompetence.