I can imagine being able to do so in a browser using
Javascript, but not on windows client.

What is it you wish to do? Insert text at the cursor
position? I once tried to do exactly that, but I
couldn't. I was able to get around it and build a
workable solution that didn't require me to know the
position.

Or, are you trying to do something different?

--- Kaiser Norm E CIV USAF 96 CG/SCWOE