Will,

I would also add to your answer that it depends on how many changes to
the applications are expected over time too.

If the application is customized and "set in stone" then consultants
can be brought in for a few weeks (ok, maybe a few months the buisness
does not really already know what they want done.) and then leave. As
long as just "user work" is needed from that point forward then
"developers" are not really needed at all.

HOWEVER, I really doubt that will be the case for long. There will be
changes needed at somepoint and having to call the consultants back,
over and over again, will get expensive over time. So.... Plan ahead,
hire one, two or three full time people before you get started. Then
they will have the incumbered knowledge of how the system changed from
day one and they will be very valuable to your org. (Size the group on
expected work, and expand if needed in the first year or two.)

In reality you might find that you need more "user trainers" than
"developers" if your org's user turn over rate is high enough too.
(Again, all questions/details that are more about your org/buisness
than the load/capacity of the AR System.)

--
Carey Matthew Black
Remedy Skilled Professional (RSP)

Solution = People + Process + Tools
Fast, Accurate, Cheap.... Pick two.
Never ascribe to malice, that which can be explained by incompetence.