-----Original Message-----
From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Rick Cook
Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 1:13 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: ARS as a development system

As soon as I saw ITSM 7, I knew that's the direction they were taking.
ITSM 4-6 has been around for long enough that there are lots of people
who know the app well enough to customize it.  This version is not only
new to us all, but is bigger.  That gives BMC's own P.S. people a leg up
on it over partners and in-house developers, especially since training
won't be available until late September-ish, which means that for all
practical purposes, the expertise won't be widespread until 2007.

BMC is basing its business (and therefore sales) model on ITIL buy-in
from the customer base.  ITSM will get a customer to ITIL compliance far
faster than a custom app set would, even if the developers were
ITIL-trained.  ITIL also works better in an integrated platform
solution, which means more product sales.  It's not like we can go out
and build a discovery platform in ARS.  We'd be hard-pressed to build
ITSM 7 ourselves, which is not something we'd say about previous
versions.

So the decision point that some customers are at right now is whether
ITIL is a standard that they will embrace now, or put off until later,
or until something better comes along.  ARS custom development will be a
very strong alternative in those non-ITIL shops.

Rick