Maybe this is a user and not an ARS administrator?

Rob,
  Access to the SQL logs are restricted to the ARS Administrators. (
Think unix root, or windows Administrator group and you have the right
idea.) If you are not blessed with that role in your company, then I
would strongly suggest that you start to solve this problem by
involving those people.

Note that your "direct DB" approach will have some gotchas. All ARS
"date" values are stored in "EPOCH" (integer) from on the DB. Also all
ARS "Diary" fields are formatted unlimited length character strings
with special formatting embedded in them. Attachments will likely be
out of reach too. (But I doubt that will be much of a problem for this
case.)

Good luck.

--
Carey Matthew Black
Remedy Skilled Professional (RSP)

Solution = People + Process + Tools
Fast, Accurate, Cheap.... Pick two.
Never ascribe to malice, that which can be explained by incompetence.