Scott,

I've been doing Remedy work as a "semi-freelance" for about 3 years now,
prior to that I worked as a consultant for a former Remedy partner where I
received my RAC status.

When I say "semi-freelance", I provide services to customers of various
Remedy partners through the partner companies, however I am not an employee
of the partner company. I have worked either via a 1099 contract, or as a W-
2 temporary employee. I always repersent myself as a member of the partner
firm, but I never refer to myself as an employee.

Ok ... that being said, the upside is that the pay is rather good,
considering you know your stuff, and you can deliver, the downside is if
business gets slow, you can quickly find yourself out in the cold, and you
have to start calling partners you have relationships with looking for
work. Be prepared to keep a bank account balance equal to at least 3 months
worth of living expenses, cause especially in Q4, work can be hard to find.

One significant benefit can also be tax deductions, especially if you're
working on a 1099 basis for a partner, but I know BMC really frowns on them
doing that now.

If you don't have another means of obtaining health benefits, this can also
be a challenge.

I have one or two customers that I do work for directly, and I have
negotiated contracts with them that I work as a staff augmentation person,
and they pay me twice a month on an hourly rate, but most of the time I
work through a partner company and again I'm either paid twice a month,
every two weeks or sometimes net 30 calendar days (I got burned one time
where a company claimed net 30 meant 30 business days ... get it declared
in writting).

I do work for some customers remotely via VPN, others I work onsite ... it
depends on the customers culture, and your history with them ... I
personally love the remote work, since I get to spend more time with my
kids, but I also tend to give customers a break on my hourly rate if I get
to work remotely.

If you haven't worked as a consultant before, then I'd strongly advise you
to work through a firm for a while, consulting isn't for everyone. If
you've worked as a consultant before, and you understand the role, you have
to really evaluate where you are financially ... the first time I tried
this after my position was eliminated, it failed horribly, and I couldn't
find work for nine months, and I ended up going back to work for someone
else ... but that was also in the dark days of Peregrine.

Mike

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 07:05:06 -0700, Scott Ames <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Is anyone here doing Freelance Remedy consulting rather than working for a
Consulting Firm? What I mean by that is: You take on Remedy jobs in your
own name as a one person shop either on site or remotely.