From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList) [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of Addis Solomon
Sent: Monday, August 28, 2006 5:43 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: How to verify if the current value entering exists on the database

**
Kelly,
I followed instruction # 2 however, the lastcount is counting all the records that are on the form instead of only  values that matched the current value.  Any recommendation?

Kelly Deaver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
**
There are several ways, depending on what you are trying to accomplish. I'm going to call the field you are interested in FieldA in my examples.

1. If you are trying to assure that no two records have the same value in a particular field (FieldA), create a unique index for that field. In the Admin tool, open the form and select form>form properties. On the Index tab, move the desired field to the right column and check the "unique" box below. Save. When the user submits a new record, it will say that entry violates a unique ID on FieldA.

2. Add a field, FieldB, to number field to check the result of an active link you are going to create.Create an active link that runs on loose focus, run if - FieldA != Null. Select a set field of the field action. Query the form name of the same form (not CURRENT SCREEN) where $FieldA$ = 'FieldA'. Set the no match = set the field to null. Set multiple match = Use first matching request. Set Field - FieldB = $LASTCOUNT$. This will tell you how many already submitted records match the current value in FieldA. You can then create an error message if FieldB not NULL that tells the user in more detail what you want them to change.

3. Do the same thing with a filter to check on submit and block the submit action if you like.

4. If you aren't trying to block, but rather find matches, you can do the same as #2 except instead of setting multiple match to Display a List.
Kelly Deaver
Director, ITSM Practice
Xinify
[EMAIL PROTECTED]