Rick,

Your thinking is correct as far as the math goes... However, I am
wondering what the exact error message was in the log file?

Maybe you simply have workflow that is throwing an error message
because the Escalation  is trying to alter the data in a way that
violates a business rule? ( Filter logic)

Can you be specific about the error message that is returned?
Is there more than one error message?

--
Carey Matthew Black
Remedy Skilled Professional (RSP)

Solution = People + Process + Tools
Fast, Accurate, Cheap.... Pick two.
Never ascribe to malice, that which can be explained by incompetence.