What MTA are you using (e.g., sendmail) and what is the from address
configured in the AR System Email Mailbox Configuration form?

Try to do a telnet session to your MTA using smtp (port 25) and see if
you can send the message.  See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Mail_Transfer_Protocol for
instructions on having a conversation with your smtp server.

If you still receive the smtp 550 it's because relaying to address x
(probably outside domains, most common configuration) is not allowed by
your MTA.

Axton Grams