James / John,
    I should clarify, the fear is not for cross communication between
tablespaces - Oracle & ARS handle that well.  The concern is if the
database SID names are the same, but refer to different oracle
instances.  If there was a tnsnames.ora copy / overwrite snafu, you
could have both ARS instances talking to one Oracle instance and not
even know it (If this is in fact what is meant by "the DB is the same
name").

In thinking about what could be referencing the old ars server that the
installer would care about, I could only think of SERVER_CACHE left over
from ARS < v5 or a copied .lic file.  Table fields & filter guides would
not affect the upgrade installer I hope.  I can't think of other
embedded server references.

 I've never encountered the installer upgrade option complaining that
the database intact and accessible - that seems very wrong - so I'm left
to conclude that the database being present & accessible is not the root
problem.

I _suspect_ that the installer detects that the ARS database it is about
to upgrade is in use by another running ARS server elsewhere - which
could easily happen if your SID's were the same in dev & prod.

The other problem here could be that all of the oracle binaries and
config files were copied, including tnsnames which refernces the prod
instance - and it is actually Oracle generating this error message.  If
this is the case, the DBA will need to either:
A:) ensure that all references to the old db server hostname/ip in _any_
Oracle configurations are updated to the dev database hostname/ip
Or
B:) erase the instance and re-create it via standard tools/processes,
then export the data from prod and import it in dev.

Option B would be highly reccommended - who knows where Oracle stuffs
away information about where it is supposed to reside.

-brian luke