From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList) [mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Jason Miller
Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2006 7:52 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Question: Disable ODBC

** I had a situation where I setup a contractor on a temporary basis with an ODBC connection to his MS Access database. We agreed that it was only for his use. He ended up placing it on a network share and letting everybody know it was there. I had some big performance concerns about multiple people starting to do a full dump of the CHG:Change and CHG:Task tables each time they want to see the latest data. Fortunately he pulled it before anybody had a chance to copy it.

I created a filter that fires on Get Entry. The Run If was $CLIENT-TYPE$ = 6 and $USER$ != "myusername" and I had a error message If Action. This gave me (logged in as a different user) an error in MS Access and Crystal Reports. I really liked this method because it didn't limit myself as the admin, CRD  or the people who have a legitimate need to connect via ODBC.

Jason