**

 Was this ever clarified at BUW?

12. Clarify in writing the exact licensing requirements with ARS on SQL Server.  After many contacts with our vendor, and our vendor directly with BMC, there is no consensus on how to properly license SQL Server to run ARS.  Is it by the number of threads, by number of Remedy users?  This information should be posted on the SupportWeb.

Stephen

From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList) [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Heider, Stephen
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2006 12:59 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: What Bugs you about Remedy?

**
To those on the List and anyone at BMC, I think ARS is an excellent and powerful product.  Yet, every product can be improved.  Here is my quick list:

1. Full API support in the .Net API.  In addition, with each example in the help guide both C# and VB.Net languages should be included.

2. A button for the $NULL$ keyword throughout the Admin Tool (ie. Run If qualification, Set Fields, etc.) - I use this keyword far more than any other.

3. A button for the $NULL$ keyword in the User Tool for Advanced Searches.

4. Save environment settings in Admin Tool and User Tool as they are changed instead of waiting until the user successfully logs out.  Occasionally these programs do crash and any settings are lost.

5. Ability to setup the layout of the Admin Tool and press a button/select a menu option to write these settings to the AR System Administrative Preferences form right then.

6. Larger windows in Admin Tool for developing work flow (Active Links, Filters, Guides, etc.).  I have dual 20" monitors and yet I frequently have to scroll or click the ellipsis button to see all the code or objects.

7. Quicker turn-around time for purchasing licenses.  Once BMC receives the official request from our vendor it seems to take a very long time to receive the license keys.  With almost every purchase our vendor (and sometimes me) has had to repeatedly contact BMC to find out when we would receive the license keys.

8. Single-Sign-On with Windows User Tool.

9. More granularity with installing server patches with the installer program.  For example, there should be an option to *only* patch DLLs and other files and *not* update any forms, fields or work flow.

10. Support current version of Crystal Reports - at least with the current version of ARS and User Tool.  Within 3 months after a new version of Crystal Reports is released [from Business Objects] BMC should endeavor to put out a new patch of the User Tool that supports it.   BMC undoubtedly has access to beta and pre-release versions of Crystal Reports months before it is finally released to the public.  This should provide ample time to patch the User Tool.

11. Support for current version of SQL Server.  Version 2005 was released 3 months with beta versions available for over a year, yet no word on if/when it will be supported.  Chances are that 99.9% of ARS would run fine as-is now.

12. Clarify in writing the exact licensing requirements with ARS on SQL Server.  After many contacts with our vendor, and our vendor directly with BMC, there is no consensus on how to properly license SQL Server to run ARS.  Is it by the number of threads, by number of Remedy users?  This information should be posted on the SupportWeb.

13. Fix the KB search on the SupportWeb.  After one or two searches I have to log out, wait an hour and then log back in to be able to search again due to infinite timeouts.  This has been going on for over a year.  It finally reached the point where I simply wrote a program that downloads every KB and stores it in a Remedy form so I can perform my own queries.

14. Add the IP address of users in log files.

15. Have the option to log to tables instead of text files.  This could be a regular Remedy form a direct SQL table.  This would provide increased ability to monitor and troubleshoot a system, would allow for filtering (ie. I only want to query for entries that I made between 2:00pm and 2:05pm), could take less time to debug and would allow for reporting.

16. Change licensing enforcement to pre-version 6.3 whereas the same user can be logged into more than one computer.  Our technicians are logged into Remedy at their desk throughout the day.  They also move around a lot to support our users.  As soon as the new licensing enforcement went into effect technicians were now forced to return to their desk to update a Remedy ticket.  They used to be able to update their tickets right then - the new Remedy licensing has reduced worker productivity.

18.  Display a message when user has Caps-Lock turned On at the User Tool login prompt.  It is relatively easy for a user to get locked out of the network (when pass-through authentication is used).  In some companies Remedy/network login IDs are numeric, therefore Caps-Lock could be On and the user may not be aware.

19. Create or help sponsor a Remedy Development Guide book.  As far as I know there is no third-party design and development book available for the Remedy administrator or developer.  This guide would include topics such as solving particular problems, integration with other Remedy modules, integration with external systems, API usage, best practices, etc.

Stephen