** Eric,

If you want to put a bunch of load on the AR System server, this isn't the most elegant script the world, but it has worked for me in the past.  It is a Windows batch file that uses runmacro.exe to execute a macro and a random number generator (rand.exe) to determine which macro to execute.   I've posted LoadTest.zip on my web site (the ARSList rejected my posting with it attached).  This method didn't have any fancy metrics or reports, but it was pretty good at putting some load on the system.  Anyway, I hope some of you find it useful.

The LoadTest.cmd script contains instructions for submitting records to a Change Management, HelpDesk and Maintenance ticket forms.  As such, I had macros entitled:
  • Create Change Ticket
  • Create HPD:HelpDesk Ticket
  • Create Maintenance Ticket
In order to use the script, you'll need to do some tweaking of the script and record your own macros.

The archive file contains everything that you need (with the exception of the macros as those were proprietary so they wouldn't be useful to anyone).  Unzip the contents of the archive to a folder and place your macros in that folder as well.  Then you simply run the command:

LoadTest.cmd UserName Password Server <numberOfRuns>

The <numberOfRuns> parameter is optional.  It defaults to 10 if you leave it off.  After you are done executing the script, you will get a report similar to the following:

AR System Load Tester v1.0

The script executed 10 times.

The following counts of tickets were generated (by type):

      Change Tickets           - 4

      HPD:HelpDesk Tickets     - 3

      Maintenance Tickets      - 3

When I was doing load testing, I would typically have five to ten "drone" machines on which I would start twenty to forty sessions of the LoadTest.cmd script.  I would start an instance using the following command:

START LoadTest.cmd userName Password Server <numberOfRuns>

The number of times I would execute this command would depend on the amount of RAM each machine had.  I believe that each instance needed about 15MB of RAM in order to run.  And I didn't want to do a lot of paging out to disk.

Derek