**

I’ve received several requests for this already… and I will forward my procedures to all who asked.  That said, our solution is very similar to some of the previous posts:

-         Use log shipping if possible. (We don’t have SQL Enterprise, but I have configured off-site backups using the SQL Agent and a custom Backup device.)

-         Use (or get) Hot Backup licenses from BMC.  It just requires that you fill out an agreement form that you will not abuse them.

-         Know how to set up MS SQL Maintenance Plans to do full backups and transaction logs (ours run every 30 min.)

-         Know how to use MS SQL restore processes, including the restoring of transaction logs.

-         Database replication is the fastest way to maintain a backup, but may prevent you from using the target server for development. (We have limited hardware resources.)

-         Coordinate with your Sys Admins to have tape backups made from your database backup directory.  That way, you’ll be able to go back as far as you want to.

The only thing about my written procedure is that it’s… written.  The Air Force requires contractors like me to have such procedures updated and posted.

Mike Luttmann
Senior Database Engineer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]