** Robert,

I guess you are referring to Change Management v7, because you're talking about CMDB2.
You can of course only buy the Change Management module and install it (of course on a licensed Remedy server) without the need for installing Incident or Problem management. I guess this will cause the CMDB to also be installed (no license cost attached), and also the Approval Server.
Because it is version 7 you now should have licenses in place BEFORE you can install any of the ITSM applications.
You should talk to your sales rep if you would like to get some demo licenses.

--
Michiel