From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList) [mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Thad Esser
Sent: Friday, October 13, 2006 1:25 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: OT: Try this out...

**
Isn't con the output stream for the "con"sole in DOS.  Similar to stdout in *nix?

From a DOS prompt:
 echo xxx > con

puts xxx on the screen anyway.

Thad

"Joe DeSouza" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: "Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)" <arslist@ARSLIST.ORG>

10/13/2006 01:15 PM
Please respond to
arslist@ARSLIST.ORG

        arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
cc

Subject
        OT: Try this out...

**
I'm almost positive I know the 'real reason' to this, a friend of mine who is not really from an IT background sent me a mail saying that even engineers at Microsoft do not know the answer to this (which I find hard to believe). Reason being after he sent me that mail I immediatly guessed the reason behind this, and I am willing to bet I am right about it..

Wanted to see if anyone here can figure it out... Try this out..

Try creating a directory or a file (with no extension) named con and it wont let you.. while creating a directory using the GUI it simply wont let you create it (no error displayed) but if you try using DOS it will return an error - invalid name.. Similary if you create a file and try to name it con, it says this name is 'reserved for a device'..

Personally I do not think this is reserved for a device as such. It is reserved for 'something else'. At least thats my guess...

Does anyone know why you cant name a file or directory named con? I have a good guess and am willing to bet I'm right... Just want to compare my guess to that of others around here...

Write to me off list...

Cheers

Joe D'Souza