SUN's libumem, alternative Memory manage
<from inside BMC/ARS Support>

SUN's libumem, alternative Memory manager has several advantages over the
default SUN memory manager found in libc.   The most important of which is
performance.  It scales much, much better on multi-CPU SUN boxes than the
default.

It also includes some statistical/usage data of the process heap that work
pretty good to assist in memory related issues, as well as troubleshooting
"switches" than can be deployed for those rough issues that cause process
crashes like string overwrites, double-frees and even memory leakage.

In some cases, libumem may cause arserverd to utilize more memory than the
default memory manager.  But we find the performance gains and diagnostic
functionalities to be a much better trade-off for this additional memory.

In order to leverage libumem, you must LD_PRELOAD the library.   It is
currently mentioned in BMC KB article KM-000000020267.  I am currently writing
an updated version with greater libumem detail.

Bob ---