-----Original Message-----
From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Dwayne Martin
Sent: Monday, October 30, 2006 7:03 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Upgrading and switching platforms at the same time

Hello everyone,

We are upgrading from ARS 6.3 to 7, and at the same time switching from Unix
HPUX-11 to a new Red Hat Linux machine.
We are also upgrading from Oracle 9 to Oracle 10.  We have a
mostly-customized ARS system, but have installed the Asset Tracking module.

Two approaches:
1. Install Oracle on the new machine.  Install ARS on the new machine.
Export all the form and workflow definitions and form data from the old
system and import it into the new.

2.Copy the present Oracle database from the old machine to the new.  Rename
the database and upgrade it.  Install ARS.

The second approach sounds easier.  Any pitfalls that we should be aware of?

Dwayne Martin
Computing Support
James Madison University