Title: Tracking Vitrual Servers in Remedy AM 5.6
**

We just went through this with one of our clients – tracking VM servers within the Asset Management strategy.  The VM servers are tracked just like any other asset for several reasons:

1)                  The asset needs to be operationaly tracked like any other asset (i.e., IMAC, Break/Fix, etc…);

2)                  The asset needs to have its contractual obligations tracked and linked to the asset;

3)                  The physical location of the asset needs to be tracked;

4)                  The topology of the asset needs to be tracked (i.e., it RUNS_ON a Linux Host, etc…);

5)                  The asset has a lifecycle like any other asset, therefore, it has financial management responsbilities;

6)                  An Incident, Service Request, Change, SLA, etc… need to be tracked for these as you would for any asset;

7)                  The asset needs to be realted to the software that is being allocated for this VM server to track S/W licenses;

…There are many other reasons that we track it (SOX, compliancy, etc..) that we can go into, if interested.

As far as uniquely identifying (eg, Serial #) each VM server has its own internal Id that makes it unique.  From our standpoint we went a step further – even before the server is found on the wire its being tracked.  The asset is “received” in like any other asset and goes into  the inventory process.  We have another process for “marrying” this asset that is in inventory to the live/operational version of it found on the wire.

It’s a great use-case for the “real-world” that is often looked over as something trivial.  We run into a lot of these that go beyond what the “normal” use-case.

Business Transparency, Inc.

Matthew White

President

(201) 248-0438