From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList) [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Carey Matthew Black
Sent: Wednesday, November 22, 2006 4:14 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Right solution for active-passive configuration

First, let us make sure we are on the same page here.

High availability (HA) for the application server is one issue.
High availability (HA) for the RDBMS is an entirely separate issue.

Yes the application server is nothing without the DB. However,
generally how you do HA for a DB is very different than how you do HA
for an application server.

Also understand that in most "Active-Passive" systems any transaction
that is "in progress" when the Active node fails will likely not
complete. The user will normally have to re-try the operation. (And
that is also true for some "Active-Active" systems too. ARS is one of
those systems.)

So if your goal is to "never have a single transaction be dropped"
then you might have to look to other solutions for that kind of "fault
tolerant" behaviour.

I have used Sun Cluster Server software to manage a two node (v4.x)
ARS server cluster in an Active-Passive mode. It worked very well. Due
to the way the hardware was designed the fail over the outage time
period was at least 10 minutes long, but could be extended to 20-30
minutes if there were other "fail over failures" during the process.
(The "fail over failures" were normally EMC disks that would not
release from the active node and would not re-attach to the passive
node. )

HTH.

--
Carey Matthew Black