I see at least 3 metadata tables whose names have been changed from what it
used to be until 7.6.04 and what it is on 8.x (specifically 8.1.2 where I am
running these comparisons).

Table name in 7.6.03

Table name in 8.1.2

TASK

ARTASK

TASK_CHECKPOINT

ARTASK_CHECKPOINT

TASK_CHECKPOINT_OBJ

ARTASK_CHECKPOINT_OBJ

Any idea what was the reason behind this name change?

I do not or am not facing a problem really as a result of this - I was just
on the process of "inventorying" all the tables in the ARSYSTEM tablespace
on a system I am currently working on for the purpose of designing a custom
backup script and noticed this name change when comparing a 7.6.04 system
with a 8.1.2 system.

Joe