Hi everyone,

I know this isn't strictly ARS, but I thought I'd ask here.

AI has me pulling my hair out, and at this rate, I'll be bald by friday.

I have a pretty basic job. It queries an ldap server and writes what it
finds into a landing form.

Because the data on the ldap server is pretty dirty, I'm using the "Strings
cut" node to truncate all the data so it'll fit in my fields.

And indeed this seems to work. Until it doesn't work.

The log shows that ARERR 306 is encountered,  because I've tried to set a
too-long value on a field and it gives me the field id.

Sure enough,  I am truncating the data mapped to that field to the length
of the field.

I think, "well maybe the indexing isn't really as advertised", so I
truncate the field to 1 less char than the max length of the field. No
good. What the hell, I go for 2 less. Still no good.

I insert a "write to log" right before the AROutput step just to verify,
and yes indeed,  there is not one value too long going into the AROutput.

Ok, so maybe some workflow on the server is doing it? Nope! Disabled all
the workflow, and just to be damn sure, I checked the "skip workflow
processing" check box on the AROutput node.

still throws the error.

Ok, just to be sure, turned on filter logging. Not a darn thing firing. The
arserver does not seem to be throwing the error!

Ok. In desperation, I set 0 length on the field in question. Boom, it works.

So after the job is done, I check to see what the longest value that got
wrote to that field was.

It is, exactly as it should be. Nothing longer than the max length set on
"Strings cut" ... which is to say, two characters less than the previous
length of the field.

What the hell?

Only thing I can think of is maybe there's some kinda garbage non-printable
ascii on the input that throws kettle's length detection for a loop? If so,
I don't really see any kind of charset conversion or anything I could use
to filter it.

I'm on 8.1.01 ... anyone ever run into anything like this before?

-Andy