***
We were having technical issues with the CMDB so we did not use the Class
Manager. In Best Practice mode, we added character fields to the
BaseElement temporarily, and now we are getting errors that the field are
referencing
"Computer System."

**

I'm 99% sure that you are not 'allowed' to overlay CMDB  forms...it breaks
things...fyi....but, when you say you aren't able...are you in  best
practice mode?...what sort of error do you get?
Are you getting any errors?  What version are you on?  And did you create
these custom fields via the Class  Manager?
**
>From what I recall...
View overlays are the only acceptable overlay on CMDB forms.  That will not
affect the data model and/or workflow; it is done if you need to  pretty up
the UI of a CMDB form (add trim/buttons, adjust field layout). If you  make
structural changes to CMDB forms in Best Practice mode (in an overlay) it
will not only throw the metadata out of whack but the CMDB plugins/clients
will  not see the changes. The CMDB plugins/clients (RE, NE, etc.) only look
at Base  mode because all CMDB changes should be done via the class manager
which results  in changes in Base (loosely they are managed by BMC code even
though a customer  made the change).
Beyond that there are a few circumstances that the class  manager cannot
currently handle and need to be done via Dev Studio. This is a  rare case
where non-BMC people are advised to make the change in Base mode  (regarding
the
delete overlay verbiage discussed over the last week, this is a  valid
reason to work in Base mode). I recommend if you think you have a CMDB
situation where you need to make a change in Base mode consult with BMC first
confirm.