Thanks for the lead on psi-probe! I am going to check that out some more.

>From what I have seen the same general TC config pretty much works for
TC/Java 5, 6, 7, 8. There are some features/opts/settings that come and go
or change slightly between version but the tuning methodology is pretty
consistent. The Googles helps make the necessary adjustments between
versions.

Here is what where were using on our AR/ITSM 8.1 MT server before we
retired ITSM.

Tomcat 7.0.50
Java 1.7.0_51-b13

-Xincgc
-XX:PermSize=128m
-Xms512m
-Xmx3584m
-XX:MaxPermSize=256m
-XX:+UseCompressedOops
-XX:+UseParNewGC
-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC

I am by no means an expert with all of the JVM ins and outs (just kind of
comfortable). There might be an odd combination or setting in that example.
Quite honestly I tend to tweak adjust my set of opts as we change web
servers, update TC and Java so there are times I have redundant opts
(again, not an expert). I watched constantly for weeks using jvisualvm and
CG, heap growth, etc. were pretty steady and stable.

We were only using SRM and CM so it was a 1 MT environment. We had not
ramped up to multi-node MT servers with tons of memory before we went back
to custom development. There are also the ehcache tweaks you don't want to
overlook in the MT config.properties.

At one time I tried really cranking up the MaxPermSize but there is a
certain point where adding memory to it no longer helps.

Unfortunately BIRT (web) reporting running in the same TC/JVM takes a toll
on the entire MT application. I too have seen larger reports smoother the
MT UI. My impression is the BIRT solution is pretty light weight. The
introduction of Smart Reports with it's own web stack is a very good move.

Jason