Thanks for the pointers everyone!
I'm still a long way from getting this working, however I think I'm on the
right track now.

For those who may be interested, here's some interesting things I've found
so far:

1) there is a (very convoluted, yet apparently working) example of this
sort of thing already in the OOB code if you have SRM installed.
Check out the workflow on

*SRS:ImportExportConsole*
2) contrary to the documentation, you do NOT need to create a Job, you can
call transformations directly from workflow.
As Jarl pointed out, you can do this by pushing data into *UDM:Execution*
(though I suspect you still need Job if you want to use *Application
Pending*)

3) The way you can send variables (i.e. "Parameters" in Pentaho-land) into
an AI Job or Transformation is via the *UDM:Variable* form.
The *Name* field corresponds to the *Parameter* (in Spoon, right-click,
select "Job Properties" or "Transformation Properties", these are defined
in the "Parameters" tab)
The *Value *field is the value you want to set on the parameter.
And this is apparently what *'Variable Set Name'* is for on *UDM:Execution*,
and *UDM:ExecutionInstance* ... you send a GUID on this to *UDM:Variables*,
as well as to *UDM:Execution*, and that's how it binds these specific
variables to the job or transformation you're executing (this field is
missing from *Application Pending*, so I've got no idea how you can send
parameters into a job from that form).

thanks again everyone. I'll keep the thread updated as I figure this out
(for future googling posterity if nothing else).

-Andy