(This email is in response to a handful of the earlier emails on the topic)

#1 — what is your volume of incidents/JIRA tickets?
(If it is small (< 20) a month … my suggestion is overkill)

What happens is people try other things (ARS/Plugins/REST/etc…) after they
go production for awhile — they see they have to take it far more serious
than the original test cases — this is when they find Kinetic Task.
Download it here:
http://www.kineticdata.com/products/task/request-information/

We work with companies who have both BMC ARS (custom and ITSM) and JIRA …

What happens is JIRA gets tightly wound into the processes of the
developers — and it solves a nice problem for them, they will not leave
JIRA for ARS.
Also — there is significant investment in ARS and the companies do not want
to (and it is not the right thing anyway) to switch to JIRA for helpdesk.

The right solution is to make both sides happy/efficient. So, an
integration is needed.

So my question to you is:

Are you playing around to create a JIRA defect from Incident?
Example:
You set some value on Incident - and as a result it creates a Defect in
JIRA?

or…

Are you looking to solve a real problem which requires
“significant workflow” … ???

Meaning …

(Like above)
>From Incident … you trigger something so a JIRA ticket gets created…
Then — during the lifetime of the JIRA ticket (assigment/status change/etc…
) you push info back into Incident — or possibly do communications to
original requester or possibly create a BMC change request when the JIRA
ticket gets to a certain state.

Being real  — then things like stopping/starting/pausing, scaling,
failover, debugging, retries, version control, dev/qa/prod, documentation,
operational support, performance tracking, SLA tracking (clawbacks, etc…)
you know — real production stuff become necessary.

The latest term for this is SIAM (Service Integration and Management)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_integration_and_management

Sample ARS Problem: In ARS how do you turn off a filter for a period of
time — then release it once the target system is up???
Sample ARS Problem: My submit is slow … why is it slow?
Sample ARS Problem: My submit is slow … everything is slow.
Sample ARS Problem: My submit is slow ... because the other Remedy system I
am talking to is slow — how do I fix that?
Sample ARS Problem: My submit is slow ... because I need to update the API
for the target system … how do I put that in without taking everything down
(and waiting for the weekend)?
Sample ARS Problem: My process needs to improve — how can I move to the new
process without breaking the 1000 existing tickets in flight?

All of those are real problems … that cause real headaches … that cause
real debate … that basically prevents projects from getting done.

If you are looking to solve a real problem with “significant workflow” …
you may want to look at Kinetic Task … it is a tasking engine that attaches
to both Remedy and to JIRA — and then you can build workflows that tie them
together.
It works asynchronously — unlike BMC ARS’s workflow (including v9). What
that means is — if JIRA is slow or BMC is slow (or down) — neither of the
other systems is affected. The calls back and forth will queue up … and
continue when available. (This is something that you will need if you are
doing this for real.) If you are just playing around to see if BMC and JIRA
can talk — REST / WebServices do work. However … in the real world — (you
need way more than just a REST call) queuing is what is needed.

See:
http://community.kineticdata.com/?title=20_Kinetic_Task/Task_Handlers_%26_Sources/Jira

Kinetic Task 4.0 will work with any version of ARS 7.0 and newer.
Technically - we could probably go back to ARS 1.0 … but — seems a bit
worthless at this point.

Kinetic Task is an event based, distributed, asynchronous task engine with
a drag/drop, version managed, workflow system.

Kinetic Task 4.0 connects to any data system (not just Remedy or JIRA) … it
can also provide workflow for ServiceNow, Salesforce, ActiveDirectory,
Twilio, etc…

You can sort of think of it like Remedy Filters/Escalations but more
generic (can be the task engine for any data system). Remedy
Filters/Escalations are “synchronous and monolithic” whereas Kinetic Task
are "asynchronous and distributed". As systems get larger, or you tie
things together across an enterprise or an internet — asynchronous and
distributed becomes a requirement. (A recent term for this is
“micro-services”)
See:
http://martinfowler.com/articles/microservices.html

I hope that sheds some light on what to think about when integrating across
the web.

BTW:
This is the product we announced 5 years ago at WWRUG ??? … which won “Most
innovative product”.
Since then MILLIONS and MILLIONS of transactions have been Kineticized :)
(Just made that word up)

-John

On Sat, Aug 29, 2015 at 12:35 PM, GBGupta <gbgu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I need some help trying to understand if there is a way to integrate
> remedy Incident to a Defect in JIRA?
> Is there any plugin out there?
> Or how would I be able to achieve this? We are on remedy 8.1.
> I have zero knowledge of Jira but I could get my hands on an installation
> to test out an integration.
>
> Atlassian also offers a Service Desk module - so there is also a thought
> to switch to using that for lack of better way to integrate.
>
> Any help from arslisters would be highly appreciated!!!
>
> BMC Incident Management Team @ Toronto - anything out there?  It will be
> too sad BMC losing space to Atlassian Service Desk!
> Please help!!!
>
> Thx,
> Geetika
>
> Sent from my iPhone