I have an initial release of a DV Plugin framework (dvpfw) that is free for
use (BSD license).  The goal of this project is to provide a free framework
(no licensing/intellectual property restrictions) for writing Data
Visualization plugins.

The software is available for download from the ARSWiki.org Trac interface
and svn repository:
 Trac: https://arswiki.org:8080/projects/dvpfw
 SVN: https://arswiki.org:8080/svn/dvpfw

My main motivation for starting this framework is the licensing under which
the framework provided by BMC was released.  The BMC provided framework does
not contain a license, and the license banner in the source states the
following:

* Copyright (c) 2006 BMC Software, Inc. All rights reserved.
*
* This software is the confidential property and proprietary information of
BMC
* Software, Inc.

This makes the BMC provided framework unsuitable for open source software
development.  Anyone using this framework under these restrictions is
subject to potential legal recourse by BMC, if they decide.

One core issue addressed by this framework that the dv plugin architecture
(not to be confused with framework) is missing is the ability to serve
resources (static content) from a WebRoot directory in the DV Plugin jar.
This framework includes the ability to serve content (files-images/js/html)
from a directory named WebRoot inside the DV Plugin jar simply by including
the files in the jar/WebRoot.  The initial request to the DV Plugin will be
redirected to WebRoot/index.html within the jar; this is meant as a feature
to separate your DV plugin presentation from java.

An additional feature is the ability to use JOARSE as the interface to your
Remedy server.  Two helper methods have been provided that create a JOARSE
Server object using the authentication context provided by the DV Plugin
architecture/mid-tier:
 - org.arswiki.dvplugin.util.Joarse.createServerAsAdmin()
 - org.arswiki.dvplugin.util.Joarse.createServerAsUser()

I would like invite people to contribute to this framework and ARSWiki.org.

Now for the shameless self-promotion: ARSWiki registration is free, please
contribute - http://arswiki.org

If you are interested in contributing to the DV Plugin FrameWork, please
contact me.  I'm interested in anything you may be interested in
incorporating into the framework:
- third party utilities
- developing feature requests (see
https://arswiki.org:8080/projects/dvpfw/roadmap or
https://arswiki.org:8080/projects/dvpfw/report/9)
- bug fixes (see https://arswiki.org:8080/projects/dvpfw/report/1)
- guidance (it's my first attempt at a java program), I'm all ears if you
have suggestions in regards to architecture, approach...

There is still a lot of room for improvement/expansion in this framework, it
currently only addresses a couple of my immediate needs, but there is more
on the way (see https://arswiki.org:8080/projects/dvpfw/roadmap).  If there
is something you would like to see incporporated into the framework, check
the roadmap; if it's not there, feel free to submit a request at
https://arswiki.org:8080/projects/dvpfw/newticket

I apologize for the use of an untrusted certificate on Trac/SVN, don't let
is scare you.  There are some issues (entropy) using htdigest passwords by
my hosting company, so https was seen as necessary.  I refuse to pay the
annual fee required to have a server certificate generated by a trusted CA,
$399 USD/yr from Verisign (that's the cheapest cert) and $199 USD/yr from
Entrust.  The self-signed certificate in use accomplishes the goals of SSL.
For the paranoid, the certificate thumbprint (sha1) is: 4e ef ec 3a 69 fd a0
7f 89 1d 7d cf fd 00 c3 16 21 8e 93 f7

Axton Grams