-----Original Message-----
From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Robert Molenda
Sent: Sunday, December 24, 2006 11:50 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Some help regarding Remedy usage

As Remedy administrators, what do you all feel that Remedy specifically
does that could not be efficiently developed using Oracle programming
tools?

<Reply> ARServer and it's "Full Picture of Features" can do so much,
that it is tough to conceive what it "cannot do". Let us take one very
simple, but entirely complex component of ARS that most people take for
granted and is overlooked in "port this to a custom application":

** BUSINESS TIME CALCULATIONS **

This very simple built in component will scare even the most talented
programmer, regardless of the coding language!!

As a cost analysis test, take just the BTC Chapter(s) from the various
PDF's and ask the Oracle team "How long, and how much?". (Multiple
start/stop times during the day, time-zone offset, and holidays to
consider! Groups, Individuals, etc OH MY!

You also need to consider the things that ARS can do that you are NOT
doing!

LDAP Integration for Read/Write? Why not automate Windows account
creation! That saves real human $

Any DB Integration (view forms)

API Programming (C, Java, .Net, ...)

Free web interface...

In a total TCO, ARSystem is actually very inexpensive compared to many
of the other systems!! </Reply>

What are some of the things you all are doing with AR and Remedy
Helpdesk that I might consider implementing or enhancing?

<Reply>
I don't want to sound off base, but change your "Help Desk" mode of
thinking, to a "Service Desk / Service Provider" organization. Yes, part
of what you do is the "find / fix" (Incident Management), probably some
form of issue monitoring and trending (Problem Management), probably
some form if user account maintenance (Change Management), probably some
form of user asset information control (Asset Management / CMDB),
probably some form of Reporting and Trending of Service Quality (Service
Level Agreements & BO/Crystal Reporting)...

Yes are Remedy User licenses kind of costly, Yes, however if you
restructure with the thinking of "Automation" and "Service Provisioning"
you will be in a much better place to view TCO of the application that
you utilize. As I keep telling managers here, "Define your Service you
provide and we will Sell it to the customer" (so to say). For example,
one recent topic was windows account creation.
* Many Processes not being followed 100%
* Deviances between Service Locations
* Time Delays of creating accounts

So, we calculated that on average 3 groups were required in different
organizations to create one simple standard windows account.
1) NT Group to create account
2) Filer group to create home drive (Requires account setup for SID /
user name) 3). NT Group to link Home Drive to Account 4). Exchange Team
to create mailbox 5). Service Desk to train customer (well, we cannot
automate this :( YET! )

Guess what? This is the latest Automation Project that is currently
under development. For 6 weeks development & testing, it will pay for
itself within an estimated 6 months!

So, ask yourself the question, "How do I want to be doing business in 6
months, 1 year, 2 years" and ask the "ARSystem" question again based
upon your long term strategy.

Also ask your "XYZ Development Team" some questions as well. But
remember this additional tid-bit-o-information. Do you have your system
COMPLETELY DOCUMENTED? While you might have training guides, or simple
documents describing system flow, you might be amazed at just how long
it will take you to provide a "Complete Specifications Requirement" to
the development team so they can Scope the project correctly. (Much less
the weeks of meetings so they understand what you wrote!) If your
specifications requirements are not rock solid, you will be in "feature
creep" and the end result normally under those conditions is a system
that is buggy and does not do what you need / expect. </Reply>

Thanks-n-advance;
HDT Platform Incident / Problem Manager & Architect
Robert Molenda
IT OS PA
Tel: +1 408 501 6310
Fax: +1 408 501 2410