All,

Experiencing performance problems on mail sending; some background ...

Server is running ITSM 7.6 Change management on a 7.5 Solaris server,
Oracle at the back end.  General application performance is fine.

The server is making use of 2 outgoing mailboxes.

Mailbox 1 - used for system notifications, such as "This change requires
your approval", etc.  connects to a "legacy" SMTP relay, up to a few
thousand emails sent each day, runs fine.  Emails are picked up/sent within
a minute or two.

Mailbox 2 - used for a custom notifications system (to notify customers of
outages), similarly sends a couple of thousand emails per day.  Has been in
active use since February this year.  As it is external emails it is using
a "mass mail" SMTP relay designated for this purpose.

It is this second one that is having problems - emails take anything from 3
minutes to 12 (!!) hours to be sent.

As far as I can see the basic configuration/polling is setup the same on
both (2 minutes).

Any suggestions?  Would reducing the polling interval have a positive
change?  Or are there further configuration changes on the email engine
itself that could improve performance?  Or am I just at the mercy of a
sluggish SMTP relay?

(I've never had to investigate email performance problems!)

Regards

Dave