Tom

We had a similar issue on 8.1.00.  It turns out this was a known defect.  We
quickly applied 8.1.02 which resolved the issue.  The root cause in our
scenario was we loaded data with the DMT and the DMT was creating the
duplicate/triplicate records because of the way it is threaded.  BMC introduced
a new backend form, in 8.1.02, similar to the Incident Number generator to
prevent duplicate records moving forward.

If this is the same issue, this severely hampered our environment and BMC
Support had no resolution other than manually clean the records up.  We were
fortunate and caught this issue in our testing before we went live.  Our only
fix was to delete all Foundation Data and reload again.  I know this is not a
solution for companies that are in Production already.

If we didn’t have the luxury of reloading Foundation data, we also toyed with
the following as an option.  The thing we noticed was that most of the workflow
and user permissions we spotted were using the first matching request from the
Group form.  We were going to export out all Group records greater than
1000000001 (because we don't want to touch the OOTB group records).  Delete the
records from Remedy greater than 1000000001.  In Excel, we were going to sort
by Group ID > Request ID  and delete the older Request ID's in Excel then
reimport the Group data.

If this does sound like your issue, you are more than welcome to call me to
hear about our lessons learned to see if it might help you.

Kevin Shaffer
Partner IT, Inc.
(C) 316-208-5341