From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList) <arslist@ARSLIST.ORG> on
behalf of Misi Mladoniczky <m...@rrr.se>
Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2017 6:55:19 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: ADM: ARSlist Future 2017

**

Hi,

To me it also seems like the activity has gone down a lot on the list.

Transferring to, GNU Mailman should not be that tough I think. And in addition
to that we need to put some archive search capabilities in place (swish-e?). So
all in all there will be some hours needed to get this going.

I am happy to continue hosting the ARSList on my server, but I think we need to
go to an open source solution.

Ask the Remedy Licensing Experts (Best R.O.I. Award at WWRUG10/11/12/13)
* RRR|Log - Performance issues or elusive bugs? Analyze your Remedy logs
Find these products, and many free tools and utilities, at http://rrr.se

September 27, 2017 7:47 AM, "Jason Miller"
<jason.mil...@gmail.com<mailto:%22Jason%20Miller%22%20<jason.mil...@gmail.com>>>
 wrote:

**
Hello everybody,
It is time again to make some decisions regarding the future of the ARSlist.
Our LISTSERV (the software ARSlist runs on) license expires in a little over 30
days. Dan, Misi and myself have been discussing where to go from here. We agree
with the current (low) volume of posts that (Dan) continuing to pay for the
ARSlist platform does not make much sense. Clearly the ARSlist is not providing
the value it one was (when it was the only place to discuss Remedy topics).
The options for the future at this time appear to be:

  *   Move the ARSlist to a free mailing list platform. *
  *   Say goodbye to the ARSlist and shut it down all together.
  *   Money will come from somewhere to pay the license fee and the ARSlist
lives on for at least another year.

There is a contingency with the first option. Assuming the platform the List
moves to is not a hosted system in the cloud, Misi, who has been graciously
hosting ARSlist LISTSERV on his server for the last year, will not be able to
make a software switch until after the T3SMAC
conference<http://tooltechtrain.com/> in November. If we give Misi a few days
to hangout in Vegas after the conference, get home, and setup a new mail list
system, we are looking at possibly a few week outage of the ARSlist while
things transition. If we find a platform that is hosted and doesn't require
shell access to Misi's server then I can work on the transition before the
conference.
If anybody see additional options please let me know. Also I am open to honest
feedback. At heart I know none of us want to see the ARSlist go, it has been
here for us for many years. Shutting it down is not something to be taken
lightly. However being practical, do we reject the idea of shutting down the
List based on our feelings and not so much the value it is providing in 2017?
Since this post is really a continuation of a conversation that started over a
year ago, I wonder if maybe the time has actually come to retire the ARSlist?
Thank you,
Jason
DISCLAIMER: The information contained in this e-mail and its attachments
contain confidential information belonging to the sender, which is legally
privileged. The information is intended only for the use of the recipient(s)
named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any
disclosure, copying, distribution or action in reliance upon the contents of
the information transmitted is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
information in error, please delete it immediately.