Mike,
Who is the recipient of the notification, is it a user name (value in login
id field), or is it an email address?  If it's an email address, are there
more than one users in the system with that email address.  If there are,
if you send it to an email of a user with only one user account
associated....does that user have permissions to the fields in question?