I've seen random prompting for credentials when the SSO for one reason or
another doesn't authenticate a particular call....this can happen when
pulling attachments because even though you are already on the record with
it on your screen, the 'save' action prompts a new api call and all api
calls are authenticated...so, if you are using SSO, I would check the SSO
logs to see if you are being rejected for some reason