Hi all,

I'm trying to use a SQL query containing a Common Table Expression for a
drop-down menu. I can see that the query is submitted to the server and is
appropriately generating results. But the menu comes back as empty.

For anyone not familiar, a Common Table Expression (CTE) is a construct
supported by (at least) SQL Server that allows for some extreme flexibility
in the generation of result sets, in some cases things that you just can't
do without it. In SQL Server queries containing CTEs begin with a "WITH"
keyword instead of "SELECT". I don't know if other database systems support
this construct.

One workaround is to embed the query into a SQL view, then query the view.
I've used this workaround in the past but it is not entirely convenient or
elegant.

Has anyone else had this problem and maybe have some insight as to why it's
failing or perhaps developed a better workaround?

Incidentally, this is on an ARS system running v8.1.

Thanks,
Charlie