Hi Tony,

  We've been doing this heavily for a couple of months now.  In a nutshell, the
process we've taken is to build a staging form that:

  1) Pushes to the initial forms.
  2) Pulls back the Instance ID and/or People ID and/or Reconciliation ID
  3) Pushes to the supporting form with the appropriate references.

  This is needed for Product and Operational Catalogs
  Relationships between any two CIs

  In fact, as I'm typing, my other screen is currently relating People to their
Laptops using this strategy.

Bottom line, doing a direct import to the target form has limited use in
version 7.0.  You have to turn on logging...do the "relate" or "create" then
examine the log to see what's affected.

  Here's an example:
  I'm relating people to their Laptops.
  My staging form takes the Person's login ID and does a lookup on CTM:People.
I then pull the People ID.  I take the Asset ID and do a lookup on
BMC_COMPUTERSYSTEM and get the reconcilation ID.
  I then create an entry in AST:AssetPeople with all the IDs and it's done.

  Doing CI to CI relationships is basically the same thing.  turn on your
logging and create a basic relationship.  Go through it and create a staging
form that does the same thing.  Then, import into your staging form.

  Let me know if you get stuck with something.  I'm willing to send you my
staging forms and related filters...but you could probably build your own about
as quick as it would take you to figure mine out.

  Tim

Tony Worthington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  I've heard that it is a tedious process and that much backend data
regarding relationships/etc. is populated via AL's -- therefore not
happening on merge.

This is one of our to-do's so I'm sure I'll be spouting off about it
eventually. :-)

I'd also be interested in hearing from folks who've started down this
path...

-tony

--
Tony Worthington
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Jake Taylor

01/05/2007 04:26 PM
Please respond to
arslist@ARSLIST.ORG

arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
cc

Subject
Pushing data to the CTM:People form in ITSM 7

Dear listers,

Unlike the SHR:People form in previous ITSM versions, the CTM:People form
in ITSM7 is linked to about a dozen other people-related forms, making the

process of populating this form (and its related forms) quite difficult
and
complex.

We've been able to import our People information into a custom-built form
where it now resides (on ARS7). The next step is to push this data (around

37k records) to the ITSM7 People forms.

I was just wondering if anyone out there has successfully done this and,
if
so, what steps did you take to accomplish this?

Thanks very much in advance.

Regards,

Jake Taylor

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
New York, NY

the Answers Are"

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This is a transmission from Kohl's Department Stores, Inc.
and may contain information which is confidential and proprietary.
If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, copying or distribution or use of
the contents of this message is expressly prohibited.
If you have received this transmission in error, please destroy it and notify
us immediately at 262-703-7000.

CAUTION:
Internet and e-mail communications are Kohl's property and Kohl's reserves the
right to retrieve and read any message created, sent and received. Kohl's
reserves the right to monitor messages to or from authorized Kohl's Associates
at any time
without any further consent.