Ok. Thanks gents. Hopefully the interface itself won't live very long
either.

On 1/9/07, Axton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

** The only problem I would raise with this approach follows.

- The data structures are very different between the two releases
- The business rules that are enforced against requests are very different
between the two releases
- In order to DSO data between the two releases, you are going to have to
account for every discrepency between the above two items

My prediction is that this will lead to a maintenence nightmare in the
short term, taking away from time that would be better spent performing the
upgrade.

To put into the context of a scenario:
You set up both servers; you set up the DSO between the two server; you
fight a never ending battle of problems with the DSO feed between the two
servers; you burn all your time firefighting instead of doing an upgrade.

I'm not saying it's impossible to take this approach, but I see far too
many possiblities for problems and would therefore discourage it.

Axton Grams

On 1/7/07, George Jungle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> ** we're talking months... i.e. < 6.   What's going to take the longest
> is migrating interfaces. Hence the need.....
>
> On 1/6/07, Axton < [EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:
> >
> > ** "Because of the speed that we need to get this new system in place
> > (business need)"
> >
> > What is the need (window)?
> >
> > Axton Grams
> >
> > On 1/5/07, George Jungle <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:
> > >
> > > ** Hi all,
> > >
> > > I've been given an interesting task.  We are implementing a new
> > > Remedy platform (ARS 7.1 + ITSM 7.0 + CMDB 2.0) which will supersede
> > > our existing Remedy platform (ARS 5.1.2 + customised ITSM 5).
> > >
> > > Because of the speed that we need to get this new system in place
> > > (business need), we're going down the path of constructing a bridge
between
> > > the 2 systems to help in the migration of both users and interfaces.
We've
> > > decided that DSO is the best tool to use in providing this bridge to help
> > > replicate Incident/Problem dockets between both systems (only to provide
> > > visibility, excludes transactional  data around auditing history,  SLAs,
> > > notifications etc...)  and  Change dockets from the 5 -> 7 systems.
> > >
> > > This will involve developing or understanding the mapping between
> > > the business processes/workflow between the ITSM 5 & ITSM 7 systems.
> > >
> > > My question is, has anyone attempted this type of connectivity using
> > > DSO and mapping the ITSM instances before or can anyone provide any
helpful
> > > words of advise about potential pitfalls?
> > >
> > > Appreciate the help.
> > >
> > > George
> > > __20060125_______________________This posting was submitted with
> > > HTML in it___