-----Original Message-----
From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of William Broderick
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2007 5:30 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: How to start using field 112 after 200k rows

Please excuse this long post. I'm stuck and need another set of eyes. I
have a feeling what I'm trying to do should not be as hard as it seems,
but it's kickin' my butt right now. I need a sanity check on overall
approach to do the following, and some advice on specific issues we are
running into, before my head explodes.

Problem:  Management wants to change our security access model,
including on existing 200k helpdesk records, including parent and child
helpdesk records. Assignee Group field 112 has never been used here, but
we now need to start restricting access according to the following
rules:

1) On Submit - Login+ name, Submitted by Group ID, and Assigned Group
ID, should be appended into field 112.

2) On Modify - If Assigned Group is changed, append new Assigned Group
ID to 112 of Parent.  Also append new Assigned Group ID of Parent to
field 112 for any/all child tickets.

3) On Modify - If Login+ name is changed, add new Login+ to 112.

4) On Submit of Child Tickets - Append the Assigned Workgroup from the
Child to field 112 for the Parent.

The tricky part seems to be keeping the parent and child 112 fields in
sync so the parents can still see the children, etc even if the children
have different Assigned Groups. Also, it seems tricky because it's an
append and not just a simple push and replace, and we can't wipe out
what was there in 112, but must add to it.

What I've Tried:  First, for the 200k historical records, if I
understand field 112 functionality, I'm thinking we can run an
escalation to look up the Group ID from the Group table for existing
records and put the Group ID into field 112. Then hopefully our reports
will still work.

For new submits, I'm thinking we can have filters append Login+ name,
look up submitter Group ID and Assigned Group ID and append these to
112. As I understand it, we can use a " ; " delimiter and concatenate to
do this.

For submit of child tickets, I was thinking I could send an event and
use an active link guide that refreshes the child table field on the
parent, loop through the table field, get all the child group ids, and
append them to the parent field 112. But this isn't working like I
thought it should. I can't get the table refresh to fire in the right
sequence. The log shows it doing everything else, then refreshing the
table. Which is too late for my purposes.  Interestingly, if I manually
click on the table field and refresh it, the lookups and appends seem to
put everything into 112 ok. But I can't get it to work automagically.

I tried Remedy Support, and they were unable or unwilling to help, but
instead referred me to this list... Hmmm. Has anyone ever been in this
situation? Am I missing something obvious to anyone? I tried putting the
table refresh in a separate active link with a lower execution order,
but still no luck.  How can I make an active link table refresh fire,
then loop through to pick up the child group ids? I read about the `!
trick for forcing filters to execute, but how can I force a table
refresh from an active link? And does my overall approach seem on the
right track? Forgive me if this is unclear, my brain is having a hard
time with this one.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Bill
OCC