I am interested to know what you mean by using UPN too.  I have a
similar situation.

My User search filter within the AREA form has "samaccountname=$\USER$".

We were having a External Authentication problem.  We have since changed
our HOST NAME to a specific IP address of a domain controller.  It was
set to the domain, now that is it getting more users, we tried a
specific Domain controller by name.  We still got problems.  So now I
changed it to a specific DC's IP address.  The errors haven't come back
yet.

Thanks.