David,

So despite Midtier being written in Java, a language that's operating system
independent, BMC feel it won't work on VIsta?

I'd assume that simply running the Midtier 'test suite' - something that
should take ten minutes through the build files - would demonstrate it works
on Visa (or XP, Solaris, or Linux, or Win2k, etc.). Surely the 'target use'
(client/server) for an operating system is quite independent of the JVM
that's probably identical whether it's running on XP, Win2k or Vista.

I guess this means Remedy developers who (quite correctly) run a local Midtier
for development, will be unable to develop on the most modern Microsoft
operating system?

The most useful step forward for BMC is to rewrite the WUT in Java so it will
operate on all platforms, regardless of operating system or architecture.

John

Java System Solutions : http://www.javasystemsolutions.com