Dwayne,

It is possible in v7 to do that.

Configuring.pdf has this to say on page 311:
"
Authentication-Chaining-Mode:

This parameter enables the administrator to use more than one type of
authentication on the same system.
The values for Authentication-Chaining-Mode are as follows:
   0—Use the default behavior as in releases prior to 6.3.
   1—Use internal authentication as the primary method; then use external
authentication via the AREA plug-in as the secondary method.
   2—Use external authentication via the AREA plug-in as the primary method;
then use internal authentication as the secondary method.
If the Authentication-Chaining-Mode is set to a value of 1 or 2, the
Authenticate-
Unregistered-Users parameter will be ignored.
If the Crossref-Blank-Password parameter is enabled, and Authentication-
Chaining-Mode is set to a value of 1 or 2, users who have a blank
password in their
User record will be permitted to log in to the system without a
password (that is,
a NULL password).
"

It sounds like a close fit to the behaviour your describing.

HTH.

--
Carey Matthew Black
Remedy Skilled Professional (RSP)