YOu are right about outdated certs.

Our LDAP guru explained it this way:

OK, so cert7 files are slightly old (PKCS#11), and current applications now
use cert8.db and key3.db (PKCS#12)
So this goes back to the days of the netscape browser (as does the Remedy
page  http://www.bmc.com/arsystem/dht/archive/02-02-2004.htm
), to create the cert7.db file. For PKCS#12, we use the openssl command to
create the DB files.  I have only created PKCS#11 files in the days when I
had netscape on my PC.
I've not dug into the PKCS#11 issue in depth, but the initial docs appear
to point you at installing an old Netscape client somewhere to manipulate
the keys.

It would be interesting to know why BMC/Remedy insist on using this old
technology and require us to install some ancient version of Netscape to
generate these certs.

Has anyone logged a ticket or RFE with them about this ?

Rgds,

Chris Rom
Schlumberger