Bob,

ARERR 90 ( from the ErrMsgsGuide-630.pdf )
"
Cannot establish a network connection to the AR System server.
The server is inaccessible due to one of the following reasons:
  There is a connectivity problem with the network. Issue a ping
command to the server. If
the problem is with the network connection, you must solve all network
connectivity
problems before you can use the AR System server. When the network connection
problem is corrected, you can successfully connect to the server.
  If there is no network connectivity problem, make sure that the
server process (arserverd)
is running. If it is not running, ask your AR System administrator to start it.
  If the server is running, review the /etc/ar file (for UNIX) or
Login Information window
(for Windows) on your machine to verify that the server is registered
as one of the servers
you can access. If no entry is present in the file or window, add the entry.

If the connection is still unsuccessful after you have eliminated the
above causes, shut down and restart Remedy User. The server may have
been temporarily inaccessible.
"

So... I would suggest that you confirm those things to try to rule out
those problems. However you state that the User Tool (I assume from
the same host) can connect to the server in question. Which leads me
back to the possibility of a bug in the api(client/server).

Can you be more specific about how you are setting the TCP port? There
are a few ways to do that and maybe you should try the "other way" to
see if that has any better effects? Maybe you should try to use the IP
address for the server name? ( It could rule out possible DNS related
issues.)

I must add that it sounds like your trying to do the right things, but
something you said does sound odd to me too.

"but for some reason arapi63.dll ( I assume you mean arutil63.jar here
) is asking for arutl63.dll when that file doesn't exist in the
directories under API."

When I look at my v6.3 api directory (not patch 20, but the first
release) I do see that arutil63.jar and arutil63.dll in the lib
directory. Maybe that jar was not altered/patched as part of patch 20
and you should use the older arutil63.jar file?

--
Carey Matthew Black
Remedy Skilled Professional (RSP)

Love, then teach