No wonder people get frustrated when trying to prepare for a change.  I have
been doing some testing on a business time calc we run that determine how
the number of hours from when a service provider arrives at the customer and
when they leave the customer.  Have been using this calc for years and it's
pretty straight forward and the result is # of hours.

So with all the DST talk going around I decided to do some testing.  On my
5.1.2 production box (no windows patch yet) when I did the following calc I
received these results:

In 3/2/07 9:00 am
Out 3/3/07 9:00 am
# hours = 24

In 3/12/07 9:00 am
Out 3/14/07 9:00 am
# hours = 24

In 3/8/07 9:00 am
Out 3/12/07 9:00 am
# hours = 96

These are all correct results based on our work (24 hr) and holiday
schedules.

When I did the same test on our dev box with is at v7 unpatched, Windows
updates done, server time current date my results were

In 3/2/07 9:00 am
Out 3/3/07 9:00 am
# hours = 23

In 3/12/07 9:00 am
Out 3/14/07 9:00 am
# hours = 23

In 3/8/07 9:00 am
Out 3/12/07 9:00 am
# hours = 95

Consistently one hour short.

When I did the same test on that dev box with the date set to March 12th,
the results were the same as the results above.

What concerns me most is that the 3/2 to 3/3 calculations are wrong.  That
has nothing to do with DST.  The dev system has the original workflow from
before it was upgrade which is the same as on the prod system.  There has
been changes to this workflow in well over a year.

And in actuality the only calc that should be wrong is the 3rd one that
spans 3/11.  Because once we're on DST even if 9:00 am is 8:00 am to the
system, both 9:00 am's will be 8:00 am's and the calc will still be 24
hours.

From what I can see I think we're all right on 5.1.2 for what we do with
business time that is critical.  If the times are wrong on some of the
things it has minimal impact.

Anyone see anything wrong with the premises above.

Thanks,
Susan

Server:  ARS 5.1.2 Patch 1428
OS:  Windows NT 5.0  2CPU's 4G Memory