Axton,

I generally do not like rants like I am about to post... but... how
long should we be silent?

There comes a time that not doing something about a known wrong is
itself a wrong, because the lack of action perpetuates the wrong
instead of attempting to fix it.

I hope that my comments will provide some possible (and I believe
reasonable) options to try to help fix the issues that I see.

<rant>
I am actually beginning to think that the only hope of actually
getting a "bug fix" from BMC is to upgrade to the next version ( or
next patch level+10 when ever it is released).

By the time BMC identifies a bug, a possible solution, and run it
through whatever testing BMC does for patches it seems like a long
time can pass for a company that is suffering from the problem since
"day one".

(  I have actually be trying to them them to troubleshoot a v7.0.1
server install that is suffering from "startup time issues" for about
a month now. The only thing they have done is ask me for log files and
repeatedly ask me for log files, and ask me what version of the server
I am using .. .and.... repeat... repeat.... repeat.... )

I would actually love to see a BMC analysis explaining how the Support
Contracts dollars actually benefited the (personalized for each)
support contract customer in at least terms of:

* Support that was provided
    Count of issues/RFE/BUG/etc raised,
    Count of issues/RFE/BUG/etc resolved (and mean time to resolve, etc..)
    [ You know the standard Service Desk/SLA type metrics. ]

 * Fixes that were implemented that resolved issues that the customer
(and BMC) know existed in the customer's environment (including bugs
that other customers identified in the same version/platform/RDMBS
combinations registered for that support contract)

 * Enhancements that were/will be implemented into the version+1
because they suggested them

Please understand that I do understand that there is a cost to having
someone setting by a phone and answering email, and reviewing log
files. And those things have value when fixes/enhancements actually
happen. But there is no perceived value when the fixes/enhancements
appear to not happen because they are version+1 ( or more likely
version+2 ) away from the report of the bug or the submission of
BUG/enhancement. ( There is even less perceived value when the issues
are closed the moment the BUG/enhancement is opened. The issue still
exists in the customers environment, but the issue is closed. It just
does not make any logical sense. )

There are companies/individuals that are willing and capable of
helping BMC do code level troubleshooting and patching. If only BMC
would let some of them "in" so that they can help themselves and help
BMC's other customers in the same process..... Send the NDA(Non
disclosure Agreement)... Let them choose to either "help" or "wait"
for BMC to help when BMC has prioritized the issue to be a "next
patch+more than one" away. At least give us some clue of the
prioritization that our issues are getting. Sometimes knowing that the
issue is not "serious enough" can be helpful too. Maybe there should
even be a way to "buy a patch" for things that a customer wants to
throw money at to get fixed sooner?  [Or would that simply encourage
BMC to produce more bugs? hum..]

But I guess this is where the "buyer beware" comes in....

The different support contracts only offer levels of "Initial Response
Goals" as well as "includes the following, if and when available:":

"
 (a)  For the most current releases and version of the Product, BMC
provides bug fixes, patches or workarounds in order to cause the
Product to operate in substantial conformity with its then-current
operating documentation, and

 (b)  BMC provides new releases or versions, to the extent they are
furnished to all other enrolled Support customers without additional
charge.

 (c) BMC provides Support via Web, Email and Phone.
"

And I guess that really only means "BMC will call/email you back" and
has nothing to do with actually making a commitment to providing a
resolution to any issue/problem. But if BMC actually does resolve it,
then that will be done in the "most current releases and version of
the Product". So unless your company is using the bleeding edge
version and patch, I guess we can expect no patch/fix for any issue.

Given that companies are actually doing internal "DEV --> TEST -->
PROD" life cycles (*with any code that goes to production*) then most
customers are doomed to never be on the current patch because the next
patch was released before they could get the last one into production.
It is quite a vicious cycle and lots of customers as expecting to not
be able to afford the internal costs to upgrade major versions every
year, but they still want targeted bug fixes as they are identified
too.

It is really looking like a lose lose condition from this side of the table.
</rant>

But to answer Axton's question directly...

The amount of money that we are currently paying for "Support" appears
to be buying about $10 worth of support. The rest appears to be used
for "upgrade fees". I think we are paying a reasonable amount of money
to actually see bug fixes in the currently supported versions. ( Not
just the most recent patch level of the most recent version, but all
supported versions. )

Maybe BMC could develop a way for customers to submit a "working
example" of the bug to help speed up BMC's ability to identify/test
the bug in the customers current version and all "newer version" too?
A test harness that would allow the customer to submit say.. an
application with a config file that would provide BMC a way to "snap
it into" their existing tests without more than an Import of a def
file and maybe an ARX file. (AKA: Raise the bar to open a bug, and
raise the bar on bugs that are opened to be resolved in the next
issued release[patch or version, which ever comes first] too. )

I hope that helps more than it hurts.

--
Carey Matthew Black
Remedy Skilled Professional (RSP)