Hello all,

I have 2 mid-tier setups pointing to 2 Remedy ARS servers all on Solaris
9:

Tomcat 5.5.7 with Java 1.5.0_11 with mid-tier 6.03 p14 and mid-tier 7.01
p1
webLogic 8.1 with java 1.4.2_04 with mid-tier 6.03

Remedy 6.03 p17
Remedy 7.01 p1

I am working with a small test script to connect to a webService to
perform an OpCreate action on each Remedy server.  It's the same form
and webService on each server.  Using various combinations of
webserver/mid-tier and Remedy server gives different results.

webLogic 8.1/mid-tier 6.03 to Remedy 6.03 or Remedy 7.01 succeeds.
Tomcat 5.5.7/mid-tier 7.01 to Remedy 7.01 succeeds.
Tomcat 5.5.7/mid-tier 6.03 to Remedy 6.03 or Remedy 7.01 fails.

Because this succeeds in some instances and not others, I don't believe
it could be the webService or the form, even though I get an error
indicating that Required Field cannot be set to NULL.  It's a basic form
with only the core fields, and I *am* setting them all.  And again,
since it works in some combos but not others, I don't think it could
really be a required field is null issue...

Our goal is to upgrade to mid-tier 7.01 p1 and Remedy 7.01 p1 and since
this DOES seem to work in that scenario, this might be ok.  But I'd
really like to know what's wrong in the other scenarios, in case I do
see these issues after upgrading production.

Tomcat is our production webserver, that's what I need to have working.
The fact that this works in webLogic and not in Tomcat leads me to
believe that it may be a Java issue, but my Java is weak.  So any help
would be appreciated...

In the failure instances, I receive different errors.  Since these are
from 2 different versions of mid-tier, I don't know if it's really the
same error, worded differently, or if it's 2 distinctly different
errors...

My best guess is that this is related to all the various daylight
savings patches that have been loaded, though if I point Tomcat to older
1.5 versions of Java I still get these errors.  A friend helped me
enable Tomcat/Axis logging, but the logs didn't show any more than the
errors returned to the script...

mid-tier 6.03 returns:

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException:
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at
System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapCl
ie
ntMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean
asyncCall)
   at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String
methodName, Object[] parameters)
   at lawson_ws_test.InCharge_TestService.OpCreate(String Assigned_To,
String Class_Name, String Object_Name, String ShortDescription,
StatusType Status, String Submitter)
   at lawson_ws_test.Program.Main(String[] args)

and mid-tier 7.01 returns:

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException:
MessageType: 2
MessageNum: 326
MessageText: Required field cannot be reset to a NULL value
AppendedText: InputDoc
   at
System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapCl
ie
ntMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean
asyncCall)
   at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String
methodName, Object[] parameters)
   at lawson_ws_test.InCharge_TestService.OpCreate(String Assigned_To,
String Class_Name, String Object_Name, String ShortDescription,
StatusType Status, String Submitter)
   at lawson_ws_test.Program.Main(String[] args)

I know this is a long winded question.  Thanks for reading this far, and
for any help you can offer!

Jason Barnhill