Hi Roy,

Seems to me that BMC wants to have it their own way, to the extreme.

Why should every one of their customers install a server patch each time a
significant issue is encountered? Wouldn't it be far more sensible for BMC to
try to reproduce the issue on the latest patch (which they surely have
installed somewhere already)? If they can reproduce it, everyone knows it
cannot be corrected by installing the latest patch.  If they cannot reproduce
it, the result is equivocal - maybe they didn't take the necessary set of steps
or their context is somehow different. If they were really interested in
providing support, they would have the customer's patch-level on a server &
could try to reproduce it there to confirm the steps necessary to manifest the
issue.

In any case, if they require that we move to the latest patch in order to get
real support, they ought to document clearly, concisely, and accessibly all
known issues in the patch to which they want us to move. Then we could choose
among sets of bugs and take the set that's least undesireable in our situation.
Otherwise they're unreasonably expecting us to buy the proverbial pig in a
poke.

My 2 cents worth,
Doug Anderson

Opinions expressed are necessarily mine, not necessarily those of the Mayo
Foundation.