Update:
The obvious suspect is some kind of timeout or a limit
on number of records, because only larger result lists
cause errors.

I played with every timeout and record limit
parameters in Remedy known to mankind, even the ones
that need to be set directly in ar.conf, but no luck.

Played with page size, more specific search point on
the tree. The same issue. I have observed that upto
around 30 results come back fine. The smallest result
list that I have seen fail was 176 records. Somewhere
in between, there is a cutoff point beyond which the
search fails.

Plugin log always tells me how many matches are there
and starts retrieving the records. After 100 records
or so, the "GLEWF" API says "FAIL" and there is no
other explanation. And on the client, no result is
brought back.

LDAP admin says their timeout is 60 seconds and record
limit 30000, so they don't like my bothering them
anymore.

A ticket is open with BMC, but no real progress so
far.

:-(