Hey, Claire:

You never told us what CMDB 1.1 patch level, if any that you're on.

Our sole reason for upgrading from CMDB 1.1 to CMDB 1.1 patch 3 was just
to add a menu.  We added the menu through the Class Manager at the
BMC:AssetBase level.  After you upgrade past patch 2 (as Chris mentioned
below), you will see a few fields added to the Characteristics tab of
the "Attribute Information" dialog.  At least two of those will be 'Menu
Name' and 'Menu Style'.

If and when you do this, make sure you know what you're doing.  Also, I
wouldn't do this during peak hours.  This change has to replicate
through every join form connected to BMC:AssetBase (at least in our
case).

Get complete instructions before you start.  Back up your database and
run through it in dev first to give you an idea how long the change
might take.

If you do have to upgrade the CMDB, I would suggest going to 1.1 patch
4.  Check with support of course to confirm patch level and any new
instructions.  Get them to open up about any potential issues during
patch installation.  If they tell you there aren't any, ask them again.

Thanks,
Michelle