Just an FYI on something I tried:
  I have a machine with MS Office and I installed 7.0.1 patch 001 - user,
admin, alert, import tool.  Having another work machine, I decided to try an
experiment.  I installed the 6.3 user tool only (including the Crystal stuff) -
this overwrote my 7.0.1 user tool completely.  Then I when to Control
Pane|Add/Remove and uninstalled the 6.3 User Tool.  Office continued to work
fine.  I then uninstalled 7.0 admin - still everything works fine.

  I then noticed the BMC 7.0 user tool still in the Add/Remove list and figured
I'd push my luck.  Clicked the Remove button, clicked the Yes button for
"Remove BMC User...", then had a heart flutter when I saw the dialog "Removing
Crystal Runtimes" message.

  Well - everything still works fine.  I tried rebooting, just ‘cause and it
all still works - Outlook, Word, Excel.  I wrote this email in Word.

  Of course, this was tested on just one pc running XP, so results may vary.

  Later
  Stephen

Don McClure <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  **     David,

  I am interested in these observations as well.  We did not rollout 6.3
  other than MidTier against ARS 5.1.2, so I cannot address Stephen's
  concern directly.

  However, we have experienced the 'start-over' issue with UT 7.0.0
  removal (with/without previous UT versions involved)--and have
  deliberately chosen to not 'uninstall' any 7.x UserTool version, regardless
  of other considerations.

  Thanks and regards,

  dwm

    Don W. McClure, P.E.
Systems Engineer
University of North Texas
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
  940.565.3287

>>> "Heider, Stephen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 14-Mar-07 10:54 AM >>>
David,

I am getting ready to install the 7.0.01 User Tool on a computer that
has not had any ARS software previously installed.  The computer does
have Office and Visual Studio.

I understand from your email if User Tool 6.03 is installed first then
the 7.0.01 uninstall issue does not occur.  When you say "over the top
of the 6.03" did you mean install in the same folder, or can 7.0.01 be
installed in a different folder?

Thank you.

Stephen