Chanan,

You did not mention what Version of ARS your using, but if your on the
current version (v7) there are some really interesting options for your Java
skills. There is a new type of ARS field call a Data Visualization Field
(DVF). Basically this is an extensible field that allows a Java programmer
the ability to extend the ARS environment form the client up. There is a
defined "Plugin" type structure that lets your Java code "running" in the
DVF to interact (signal) the current ARS Form that the User has open and to
receive signals from the ARS form too. (So the interface is bidirectional.)
The sky is really the limit.

However, before you dive in to DVF's you really should get the basics of ARS
down. Give the PDF's a good read and feel free to ask questions when needed.
Here is the two minute summary:

1) ARS is a fully integrated Client to DB environment.
  An ARS object is built using the Administrator Tool. (Think of it as an
ARS IDE.)
  ARS Objects are used via the User Tool, or the Mid-Tier(web client). But
the clients work 98% the same. The difference are mostly due to browser
limitations. Example: The User Tool is a windows program that has access to
OLE and DDE integration points. Browser do not, buy default, expose such
integrations to web servers that the person is connected to. (And for good
reason if you ask me. :)

2) ARS is based on a C API, but has Java ( JNI based ) wrappers to. There is
also a third party maintaining a Perl wrapper (open sourced) around the C
API as well. But you need to know exactly zero about the API to actually do
85% of the application development that is possible with ARS. :) The clients
that are provided (Admin, User, Mid-Tier, Import) all use this API, and you
have access to write your own client if you wanted to. A few have taken the
time, but most find it a waste of time and effort.

3) There are a very small set of ARS Objects, but each is fairly
complicated. Since you have a programming background you will be able to
grasp them fairly quickly, but do not become over confident. There are
subtle details and design patterns that you are not familiar with from
traditional programming techniques.
  Admin Objects: Forms, Active Links, Filters, Escalations, Menus, Active
Link Guides, Filter Guides, Web Services, Applications, Packing Lists,
Flashboards(Variables, Data Sets, Flashboards), There are also other objects
that you can optionally buy too. Distributed Server Option (DSO mappings)
and the ability to display more than 5 Flashboards.

  But I personally think of a data row as an "ARS Object" too. ( and that
idea is reflected in the Java API wrappers. :) And I would also add ARS
Fields and Form Views to the standard set.

Applications are mosly sets of ARS forms and maybe a few other things. (A
few more "other things" are possible in "Deployable Applications" than in
"Local Applications" too.)

An ARS Form is UI and/or DB elements. An ARS form can map to zero or more DB
tables.
An ARS Form has one or more Views. (Think UI display and arrangement of ARS
fields.)

Active Links are ARS clients workflow. They can operate on and be triggered
by ARS Fields or the user's actions.

Filters are ARS server workflow. ( Think DB triggers and you have the right
idea.)

Escalations are time triggered ARS server workflow. They can, and often do,
trigger Filters.

Menus are, as you might expect, UI effects for menus in the clients.

Guides (Active Link and Filters) are kind of like a "subroutine" or an
addressable set of Active Links or Filters.

Web Services are what they sound like. An ARS published Web Service
interface.

Packing Lists can be safely ignored for now. They are a way for an ARS
developer to keep track of a set of ARS objects. ( and a few other uses, but
you will rarely[almost never] use these objects in ARS development for
application functionality.)

And you can read up on the other objects. (Flashboards, DSO)

4) The ARS server is a transactional universe. Think of a single data row
being altered at a time and you are half way there. There are 5 basic
"server" transactions. Submit (Create a new record), Modify (update/alter an
existing record),  Delete (yea.. you guessed it), Get Entry, and Merge.

Get Entry:
 This is an opportunity that the ARS developer gets to alter the data row
before it is returned to the ARS client. However it is only used when the
API call is made to only return a single data row. You likely will not need
this transaction until you master Submit and Modify.

Merge:
 This is a special transaction designed to allow ARS
administrators/developers to Load (batch[Submit or Modify]) data. You likely
will not need this in the short term. The ARS client that issues Merge
transaction is ONLY the Import Tool.

ARS is a proprietary environment that does not require programmer level
skills to develop basic applications in. However the more skilled you are in
programming the better and faster you will understand the environment and
the more complex applications you can create and maintain.

It is impossible to say if that is something that would interest you. Or if
it is something that would be a good career choice for you.

For what it is worth: I would say that it might take a skilled Java
programmer as long as ... say.... 6-12 months to get a good working
_mastery_ of ARS application development. That is if you work on it 40 hrs a
week for the entire time. ( So I have obviously skipped a lot of
details/subtlety above. I would suggest that you go read the concept and
Admin/workflow product pdf's for more details.)

Hope that helps give you a jump start in the ARS universe.

--
Carey Matthew Black
Remedy Skilled Professional (RSP)

Love, then teach